Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The other dinosaur from yesterday...



This one is a swap card, an ATC from a theme swap on "My Favorite Book." The animal is Utahraptor and one of the pack from "Raptor Red" by Robert Bakker, definitely one of my favorite books.

The swap card I got in return for this arrived yesterday too and took my breath away, it was on The Da Vinci Code and the artist got Leonardo's likeness perfectly, overlaid like a movie poster assemblage with scrolls rendered atmospheric and realistic. I loved it. What a great swap.

My collection is growing by leaps and bounds. Another swap artist did one for me on "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" with Rita Hayworth in the poster... but holding the rock hammer. It was awesome. I loved the novella as much as the movie and read it before I saw it, so that was incredible.

And I got new colored pencils in an art supply swap! The discontinued, rare and wonderful Design Spectracolors mentioned in at least half of my colored pencil books, a set of 60 that's only missing the gold metallic pencil and maybe a yellow-orange -- one color that's very easily mixed with warm yellow and orange. They are a lot like Prismacolors, but a hair softer and very pigment-rich, like all artist grade colored pencils they have their own formula and proprietary colors. This set is very special and I haven't done anything with it yet. I spent the day meditating on it after it came, thinking through exactly what to do for the first piece with them. I'm not sure yet but I know it'll come to me.

No comments: